Skip to main content

I have no idea what's goin' on...


In what continues to be a string of bad luck (Utley surgery, Amaro Jr. over-spending on Ibanez, Elton Brand's shoulder injury) since Pat Gillick retired as Phillies GM, news is unveiled tonight that JC Romero has been suspended for the first 50 games of next season.

It's all very confusing, especially since the Phillies, MLB and Romero all knew about this during the post season. But it seems Romero purchased a supplement from a GNC store in Cherry Hill, NJ on July 22nd, and was told by a nutrionist, the Phillies' conditioning coach Dong Lien and MLB that the supplement was acceptable to use. 3 months later, it turns out, the supplement was not allowed. Romero was initially informed of the positive results on September 23rd. ESPN reports that during October Romero was told, by the Players' Association, that the case would be dropped because the findings of his drug screening were positive due to pills purchased over the counter. That did not prove true, obviously. Romero was also given a chance to reduce his suspension to 25 games at the start of the 2009 season, if Romero admitted guilt. JC declined. A second screening results came back on October 12th, and the MLB offer was altered. Admission of guilt, 25 games, starting immediately. Romero declined again. The end result is 50 games and $1.25 million.

There is no doubt in all of this that Romero, and all players, were misled by the Players Association. MLB and the MLBPA were aware of the banned substances being sold at every GNC store nationwide, but failed to inform their players.

These are over the counter vitamins and a man will miss nearly a third of the season and a large chunk of his salary!

So, let's add another blemish to the Commissioner Bud Selig administration. This guy really can't seem to go a full year without his name or his sport being tarnished.

Comments

IRONPIGPEN said…
It does seem silly a baseball player can be suspended and lose lots of money for buying a legal substance over the counter. I understand players are supposed to know what is 'banned'. But still. The whole affair seems silly, and a shame because Romero is good.

Popular posts from this blog

2017 Phillies Prospects Countdown: #4 OF Mickey Moniak

Mickey Moniak, image- Joe Wombough Taken with the top overall selection in last year's MLB amateur draft, outfielder Mickey Moniak has garnered a lot of attention as a highly promising talent in the Phillies' developmental ranks. After signing out of La Costa Canyon High School for a reported $6.1 million, the lefty batting Moniak had a very good professional debut. In 46 games with the Phillies' Gulf Coast League team, Moniak posted a .284 batting average with 11 doubles, four triples, a home run and 28 RBI.  Additionally, he showed some speed, swiping 10 bases in 14 opportunities. Following the regular season, Moniak participated in the Florida Instructional League and spent time at the Phillies' training facility in Clearwater, where he worked to add strength and muscle to his six-foot-two 185-pound frame. At the plate, Moniak, who was committed to play at UCLA prior to the 2016 draft, makes steady, hard contact.  He is touted as a line drive hitter tha...

Chris Truby Speaks on Santana & Other BlueClaws Matters

On Monday, it was announced that the Astros selected outfielder Domingo Santana as the player to be named later in the late July trade that sent Hunter Pence to the Phillies. Santana, a Dominican born slugger, posted a .269 average with 7 HR and 32 RBI in 96 games with the Class A Lakewood BlueClaws. The 19-year-old is regarded as a five tool talent and has been ranked among the Phillies' top ten prospects by multiple national outlets. I had the opportunity to speak with Lakewood manager Chris Truby about Santana, the PTBNL list of five Phillies prospects that the Astros had to choose from, as well as other matters pertaining to the BlueClaws, as they enter the final few weeks of their regular season. Check out the media player below to hear the full interview. ______________________________________________ You can follow PhoulBallz on Twitter by clicking HERE . You can also connect with PhoulBallz on Facebook by clicking HERE .

2019 Phillies Prospects Countdown: #9 OF Dylan Cozens

Dylan Cozens, image- Jay Floyd Powerful outfield prospect Dylan Cozens hopes to shake the reputation of a free swinger and become a more complete hitter in order to fulfill his dream of reaching the major leagues. At six feet six inches tall and weighing 245 pounds, Cozens has an imposing frame that was well-suited for the grid iron, as he was a two-sport star in his high school days.  After he was chosen in the 2nd round of the 2012 draft, Cozens debuted in the minors with the rookie level Gulf Coast Phillies. In 50 games there, he notched 15 doubles, two triples, five homers and 24 RBI. Cozens also participated in the Florida Instructional League in 2012. Following a productive spring in 2013, Cozens was retained in extended spring training and made his official season debut with the Class A short-season Williamsport Crosscutters when they began playing in June. Cozens was among the league leaders in many categories that year, ...